Sunday, June 30, 2013

June Music Recommendation

So I've been stalking this artist named Noah Gundersen for a while. If you've heard his stuff, odds are you heard it on Sons of Anarchy (At least I hope so. If you heard it on the Vampire Diaries we're in a 2 week friend time out starting now) He's stupid talented and his lyrics tend to rip me into shreds for hours after listening to them, which only seems to make me want to hear more. There are three songs you should absolutely be listening to; David which is one of two songs from his latest album (Available on itunes and bancamp *Shameless plug*) to be featured on Sons of Anarchy, his cover of A Case of You which is a Joni Mitchell song, and Nashville seen here being performed by Noah (And all his stupid talent) and his sister Abby (And all her stupid talent). Being the tone deaf kid in that family must have been a kick to the ego.

Pictured: the family that sounds way prettier than yours

Let's take the songs one at a time. David comes flooding in on a pulsing guitar backed by a cello. It's dark and moody from the get-go as Noah weaves a verse about the struggle he's going through to become the man he wants to be. "A little less like my father and more like my dad" The chorus slows to half pace which makes me feel like the song itself is tearing at me, pushing me around like a gale force wind. It's a song born of a battle that in itself feels like a fight.



A Case of You. This is one of my favorite songs and I hate people who cover it. Except apparently Noah. It helps that he sings this song with a stunning depth of feeling, his voice breaking and straining at the emotional peaks of the chorus. It's always been a conversational song, but his phrasing and delivery make it simultaneously into a condemnation and a plea. He brings the guitar in and out perfectly so that by the time you realize he just did half of a verse a capella it's because he's pounded a chord out.



The last one I'm going to strongly insist will make your life better is Nashville. This is also off of Noah's new album. A little more story than most of his songs, the words weave a picture of a long road trip that ends in violence and heartbreak. The lyrics are well phrased and poignent and only enhanced by Noah's smokey voice and Abby's perfectly placed harmonies. "On and on and on the miles stretch for hours, the radio keeps spitting out tunes. Every other song is just another tired rhythm, another tired lover's tune"



Ok the rant is over, I'm off to put on my headphones and get lost in some good tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment