Sunday, December 2, 2012

Oh Amoeba. Never change

I don't think there's a single place in this city I love more than Amoeba Records in Hollywood. It's a warehouse sized store filled with music and movies and employees who just don't give a fuck. And I love that they don't give a fuck. And they love that I love that they don't give a fuck. It's what makes the store feel like home for me, the idea that these people are encouraged to have opinions and be themselves at work. As I purchased my monthly allowance of CD's today (I had to restrict both the number of times I visit Amoeba a month and the number of things I buy there or I would spend my rent money on music every single time) I had a brilliant conversation with the guy in the faded Nine Inch Nails t-shirt who was checking me out. He pointed to my unicorn necklace* and said the following

NIN Guy: Nice necklace. What do you think the horn is for?

Me: Pretty sure in the olden times it stood for fertility.

NIN Guy: You think the horn is for fucking?

Me: Yeah, why do you think they're always hanging out with virgins.

NIN Guy: Nah. Pretty sure the horn is for stabbing.

Me: Stabbing?

NIN Guy: Yeah like stabbing other unicorns in fights. Like a shank attached to their heads.

Me: I mean that's probably how I would use it.

NIN Guy: Me too. You like horses?

Me: Yeah.

NIN Guy: I'm allergic. But this one time I was up in the mountains dropping acid with my friends and I wandered into this stable next to the cabin and just hung out with this big horse with these huge eyes for like two hours.

Me: That sounds like a good trip.

NIN Guy: Yeah it was fuckin awesome. Credit or debit?

*I've owned this necklace since I was 10 or so. I plan on wearing it till I'm 80. Maturity is overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment