Friday, December 13, 2013

On the edge of the ledges I have made

Have you ever had one of those times where you're listening to a song and you feel like the lyrics have taken a part of you that you've never shared with anyone and shown a big spotlight on it? Like the singer is speaking from that place inside you where you lock all the bits of yourself that you don't want anyone to see because they're too ugly to be loved or even accepted? I love those times. I feel validated when someone else is brave enough to stand up and shout about the monster that lives inside them and I realize it's the same one I have locked away.

I know I should be posting about a more diverse group of artists, but Noah Gundersen has been on my mind a lot lately. He's got his first full length album coming out in February, and this week he released his first single from that album. I've been into Noah's music for a while and I foolishly thought I had a grip on who he was as an artist. The song isn't a stylistic jump for him. It's similar guitar and violin that he used on his EP Family. But the words are a whole nother level. And he gave me one of those moments where I felt like his lyrics were projecting all of my insecurities and faults for all to see.

"I've got a lot of loose ends, I've done some damage. I've cut the ropes so they fray" From that opening line I'm done. It's common for those of us who grow up fearing that we won't turn into good people, but at the same time not really understanding how to keep that from happening. We see every person we've hurt, every time we've been wrong. For me these moments stay with me. Noah expresses these failings that he has with sorrowful acceptance.

The chorus is just as poignant. "Here I stand on the edge of the ledges I have made, looking for a steady hand" It's the cold hard truth that most of the time the truly massive obsticles in our lives are of our own making. The way Noah sings it sounds like a call for help, a plea to the people he loves to help him be a better man.

The second verse is what really kills me though. "I drink a little too much, it makes me nervous. I've got my grandfathers blood. I take a little too much without giving back. If blessed are the meek then I'm cursed" This is such a part of me that I could feel it echoing in my head for days after I first listened to this song. What a stunning way to articulate a deep fear of the pieces of your ancestry that you know are dangerous. It amazes me that he's only 24 and able to have these profound moments of clear wisdom. Bravo.

I'll stop ranting about the song now. If you want to watch the music video you can find it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment