Wednesday, October 9, 2013

There's a Difference Between Summer and Fall Music

For about two weeks at the end of September I got lost in Phospherescent's recent album Muchacho. It's an airy album. It reminds me a bit of the first Angel's and Airwaves album except it feels much more organic. Full of background organs that have no melody, but grind out notes more to provide mood. It's layered so deep that it will probably take me years to listen to it and catch everything that runs through the songs. The emotion compounds through the songs, especially Song for Zula where I can feel the lyrics running through my veins, becoming part of me for the minutes that it plays. This album is quintessential fall music for me.

Summer is all about style over substance in my musical experience. Summer is punk music and Warped Tour. Summer is blasting through a song too fast to be accurate and not caring if you get the melody right when you sing. It's too hot to think to deep about the sounds coming from the speakers as long as the songs are fast and the melody is catchy.

But fall is different. The free fall of summer leaves me flat on the floor and I want music thats soft and comforting so I can wrap myself up inside it and keep the demons at bay. I want to hear melodies that demand harmony. I want banjos and complex lyrics that I give up trying to understand because the story they hide is overshadowed by the emotion they give freely. It's a season for soul and folk and jazz. I want to challenge my mind and my soul.

That's the big part of the rant for now.

I'd also like to note that Johnny Flynn's new album is out. It's fucking brilliant and I'll have a full blown review of it up soon.

Also in things you should have in your life, Agents of SHIELD is on ABC every Tuesday night. It's geek-tastic and even though it's not what a lot of people were expecting I think it's a great way to explore the deeper parts of the universe that the Marvel comic movies have been working so hard to create. Also if it gets canceled because not enough people watch it, I swear to Joss I am moving to London where they will kill my characters but not my shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment