Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Scottish men and scarves

So I'm back in Laramie for the week and mostly it's been pretending to relax while becoming more and more befuddled by the fantasy football league that I still don't fully understand how my coworkers talked me into joining. We had our draft today and I am proud to report that I drafted some people, and that other than that I am still mostly clueless about this whole stupid game. And my coworkers are absolutely no help. 

So I did something today that was simultaneously brilliant and horrifying. I talked my step mother into getting hooked on the new Starz show Outlander. Brilliant because her reactions were priceless. Every time Hottie McScottish was speaking Nicko grinned and nodded her head, even when she couldn't understand him through the accent. And then Hottie asked the main girl if she wanted him to throw her over his shoulder and Nickos hand shot up and she went "ooh ooh yes please!" 

This was a horrifying decision because this is a Starz show. With graphics sex scenes. That I sat through in the same room as my parents. I decided that after the male on female oral scene I can never look my father in the eye again. Or that it is just funny enough to go in this years Christmas card. I go back and forth. 

But luckily during the second episode, my older sister called. I took the call and went into the other room just in time to avoid some chick getting her bodice ripped from her body. Caroline and I were wrapping up our conversation, and she asked for my step mother. Who might as well have been on another planet from the dreamy unfocused look in her eyes. I offered her the phone and she put a hand in my face and pushed me out of her tv eyeline. When I reported this to Caroline, she took it exactly how I would have imagined. 

Caroline: Give Nicko the phone. 

Me:  She's watching the cute Scottish guy. The episode isn't over. 

Caroline: Caitlin, give her the phone.

Me: She won't take it. She's watching the cute Scottish guy. She pushed me. 

Caroline: Hand her the phone. 

Me: No. I'm not even in the same room. I left before she killed me. 

Caroline: Go back into that room and hand her the phone. I am her daughter, I am more important!

Me: What is so important that she can't finish her show? 

Caroline: I need to talk to her about scarves. 

At this point I was laughing too hard to continue the conversation, which Caroline did NOT appreciate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment